Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to Make-A-Wish.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Gifts That Pay
Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 60, we recommend that you learn more about your options and download this FREE guide Deferred Gift Annuities: Plan Now, Benefit Later.
I wish to be a pirate
- Contact Mark Simonson at 800-722-9474, Ext. 6881 or 602-385-6881 (direct) or email@example.com for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Make-A-Wish in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal name: Make-A-Wish Foundation® of America
Address: 1702 E. Highland Ave #400, Phoenix, AZ 85016
Federal tax ID number: 86-0481941
Our Top Resource
This comprehensive estate planning kit will help you protect loved ones, organize everything in one place and save on taxes.Download My Kit